Dance Fever

Spanish Club present Hispanic Heritage Program

A much-anticipated fall event each year is the Hispanic Heritage program. It takes place during Hispanic Heritage Month, which stretches from September 15 through October 15. The students love different parts of the celebrations.  

“Oh my gosh, the food. The food is super incredible,” senior Mildret Carrillo said. “If you haven’t tried it, I should definitely give some suggestions, because it is really good.” 

The dance program brings a taste of Hispanic heritage to the student body. This year, more than fifty Spanish Club students spent hours practicing their dances. For some students, this is an annual event that they give up time after school and on days off to practice for because they want to share their culture with their classmates and teachers.  

“I feel like our culture varies in many ways,” Carillo said. “I feel like dancing, especially with the Hispanic Program that we had, it really shows everyone how much of a variation we have, how it’s really special to us, and how it came from different places.” 

The different dances represent different aspects of the culture; students performed seven different dances, and the Biison Belles and the cheer squad performed, as well. Some students performed in multiple dances, like senior Alyncia Jackson. 

“I hope they learn a lot about the culture and the different ways that the culture can be expressed,” Jackson said. “The culture is really beautiful and it can be interpreted in many different ways.” 

Students don’t have to be of Hispanic heritage to participate in the program; teachers Maria Salazar and Yannette Davila are happy for all of their students to take part. No matter their background, the participants seem to like the experience.  

“My favorite part was dancing,” senior Maddox Hardin said, “and also the part where I sang the song.” 

He admitted the cheers from the crowd were something he enjoyed. 

“It felt great. It was pretty fun, you know,” Hardin said. “It was a good experience and something fun to share with my entire school.”