Total eclipse of the heart

Annual eclipse gets locals prepared for April
Lauren Menefee
The annual solar eclipse on October 14 wasn’t as big as the one that will happen on April 8, but it was still photo-worthy.

The annual solar eclipse on October 14 was a great practice run for the total eclipse that will take place on April 8 of 2024. All over Texas, people were trying out their eclipse glasses and practicing their eclipse photography skills. The eclipse was at its height in Buffalo at just before noon. 

“I looked at it with my bare eyes,” senior Dominic Lott said. “It was blinding, but so worth it.” 

While students who were at work were unable to view the eclipse this time, they plan to make sure they see the total eclipse on April 8. 

“I didn’t see this eclipse, but I look forward to the next one,” senior Adam Neptune said. “It will happen again in April and I am ready to see it.” 

There is no school scheduled for April 8 for students – it is a teacher workday. However, the high school will be hosting UIL distriict speech and debate that day. 

“We did not originally plan to have competition on eclipse day, but we had to move to avoid another conflict,” debate coach Melonie Menefee said. “I plan to get eclipse glasses for everyone and we will work an eclipse viewing into the schedule for that day. It will be a speech meet like no other.”