High expectations

Inductees expected to maintain community service projects and leadership goals
High+expectations

National Honor Society inductions are coming up on Monday. Students hoping to be selected for membership in the organization must not only meet grade point expectations, but they must also show evidence of leadership and community service in order to be selected. NHS must maintain a high level of expectations throughout their membership. 

“National Honor Society recognizes students that excel in the classroom through their work and leadership,” sophomore Kaylen Sanchez said. “This program also allows you to expand your skills on a larger scale.” 

Students must maintain their GPAs and must also participate in service projects and turn in service hours each semester. The bonus for members is that these projects look good on college and scholarship applications. 

NHS looks great on a resume and offers scholarship opportunities,” adviser Lauren Rodriguez said. “It encourages members and gives them the skills they need to be a service to the Buffalo community and school.” 

The students have pen pal partners with lower elementary students and volunteer at a number of district and campus events; one that the students enjoy helping with the most is the festival at the community Christmas tree lighting. 

“The possibilities for volunteer hours are endless,” senior Esme Gonzalez said. “I helped last year with the ice slide and with the little kids at the tree lighting, and it was a lot of fun.” 

The students enjoy the work they do together and can take the skills they gain from those experiences to continue their service in the future. 

“I will hold the memories I made with my fellow members dear to my heart,” Gonzalez said. “This association has taught me a lot, and I will continue to do my duties after I leave.”