Bucky’s Buddies

Cheerleaders host camp

Bucky is a beloved sight on the sidelines, and the chance to hang out with Bucky and the cheer squad is a huge draw every football season when it’s time for Bucky’s Buddies.   

The cheerleaders lead the campers in a warm-up before teaching each group a cheer. Bucky’s Buddies has become an annual event. (Yuliet Gonzalez)

“I was very excited for Bucky’s Buddies,” freshman Yurit Espino said. “I’m a freshman and it was my first year doing it, and I love teaching younger kids.”  

The groups were separated by grades and each group was assigned a couple of cheerleaders. They started off with the Waka Waka song by Shakira to get their blood pumping. Then they were sorted into groups. Each group was taught a different cheer. Senior Alyicia Jackson was in charge of the third and fourth-grade girls along with Victoria Brooks, Riley Davis and Alyia Ingram. They taught their group the “ Hot to Go” cheer.  

“It was really fun, and seeing their smiles made my day,” Jackson said. “I would definitely want to do it again even though it was challenging at times.”   

Alexa Sanchez stretches while her camp buddy warms up and has a snack at the same time. All of the cheerleaders worked with the campers on Thursday afternoon and then performed with them on Friday night. (Yuliet Gonzalez)

The mini cheerleaders received shirts to wear when they performed with the squad at Friday night’s football game.  

“My goal was to make all of the kids have a good time,” sophomore Evangeline Arabie said. “They had a good time and were able to burn off some energy; I was excited to see them perform at the football game.”  

Game night saw parents lining the fence to get pictures of the cheerleaders in action. Each age group of Bucky’s Buddies performed with the high school squad for a quarter of the game.

“I was part of the camp for Friday games, and I remember how it feels to be a small kindergartener and looking up to the cheerleaders,” Espino said. “I look forward to making an impact on them just like one was made on me.”