Golf teams pull in medals at tournaments

harris

The Lady Bison golfers show off their medals from the Cameron tournament.

Miriam Flores, Reporter

Bison and Lady Bison golf teams have been competing weekly, bringing home medals and setting personal records under the guidance of coach Judith Harris. They are practicing and preparing for district, which will be a two-round tournament taking place on March 27 and April 3.

At Lake Waco, Hilltop and Cameron, the Ladies took third place as a team; while the Bison have had a tough time at the last couple of meets, they placed second as a team at Lake Waco, with Dakota Helfenbein taking first place individually. 

“We started the season off on the right track,” Helfenbein said. “The last tournaments have been tough, but we are still making improvements and getting better.”

For many of the golfers, this is their first year competing, and learning the game has brought some challenges. 

“I dented a club and threw a ball in the water out of anger when I was practicing, because I was frustrated,” freshman Ruby Jo Smith said. “I feel like I’ve improved, though, and we are all getting better.”

Frustration doesn’t hit just during practices, but during competitions as well.

“Sometimes I get really frustrated with the pressure because there are a lot of coaches that drive around and watch,” freshman Ellie Pruitt said. “The most intense game is your own mental game with yourself, though. And I’m getting better at that part.”