Pink Out Pep Rally honors cancer patients

Cheerleaders honor loved ones

Jackson

Cheerleaders Abby Brewer, Nicollette Arabie and Madison Gilliam hold pictures of their loved ones during the Pink Out Pep Rally.

Tristan Cole, Editorial Team

Last week’s Pink Out Pep Rally gave the cheerleaders a chance to honor their loved ones who have lost their lives to cancer and celebrate cancer survivors.

“We held up pictures of our family and friends that have passed away and survived cancer,” cheerleader Alani Jones said. “It was really nice to honor those who have battled cancer.”

The students battled it out for spirit sticks with a game of musical chairs, a poster contest and spirit contest.

The volleyball players spent the day and the pep rally decked out in their pink shirts as well. (Jackson)

“I had a lot of fun with the musical chairs,” sophomore Maylene Caceres said. “It was super fun getting to play musical chairs with my brother like when we were kids.”

The seniors are leading in spirit sticks with six; juniors trail them with four, sophomores have two and the freshmen have one.

“I am super excited that we are winning all the spirit sticks this year,” senior Alondra Dominguez said. “I really hope we win the spirit stick contest next week.”

The halls and the stands were full of pink t-shirts and accessories; both the volleyball team and the cheerleaders sold Pink Out shirts this year. That spirit helped decide some of the contests.

“We showed a lot of spirit so were not really surprised to win a spirit stick today,” sophomore Harley Sanders said. “We only have two, but I still feel like we can catch up.”