Cosmetology program opens

Students will have a chance to earn licenses in two years

Nicollette Arabie and Ryan Brown

For several years now the high school has added certification programs to expand the opportunities students have to graduate with marketable job skills. This year, a cosmetology program was added to the schedule, with teacher Jaci Duck and the maintenance and custodial staffs working overtime to prepare a new classroom and have the program ready to start with the new school year.

Preparation for the new class started long before the end of last school year, with students required to apply for the class. Students who are interested in going into cosmetology after high school were quick to apply.

“I was excited and ready for the year to start,” senior Gabbie Ferguson said. “This is the career that I want after high school.”

Even with the excitement of starting something new, the students soon found that the class wasn’t going to be all fun.

“I actually didn’t like the class at first,” Ferguson said. “But now that we’re doing more hands-on activities, I enjoy it more.”

Ferguson isn’t the only student happy with the hands-on portion of the class. Junior Amy Sanchez said that’s what she enjoys the most. She said the class has given her a chance to do something she is really interested in.

“I think cosmetology gives many more people a chance to do something that interests them that’s not just academics,” Sanchez said. “If it’s something you are really passionate about, then this class would definitely be something you would want to give a try.”

Students have learned several cuts as well as how to curl hair and are starting to learn foiling techniques. Sometimes what seems like the easiest lessons turn out to be the most difficult.

“How to hold your scissors has been one of the hardest lessons so far,” Rodriguez said. “I’ve already cut myself twice.”