Students make blood drive a success

adams

Junior Jeffrey Johnston keeps his thoughts to himself while he donates blood.

Sherlynn Rodriguez, Co-Editor

The annual spring National Honor Society blood drive was held on March 24, with students lining up to donate.

“Every time I donate blood, I can’t help but smile,” senior Addison Lathrop said. “It makes me happy knowing that I am saving a life.”

Anyone was able to donate blood as long as they were 16 or older and had parent consent. Students who signed up were given an appointment during one of their class periods.

“Because I am still 16, my mother has to sign a permission slip,” sophomore Nayeli Ayala said. “I always make sure she signs it so that I can donate blood every time there is a blood drive at the school.”

For some students, donating blood was an old experience and for others, it was new. Some students decided to donate double red blood cells, which was a different and longer process than donating regular blood.

“I donated double red blood cells for the first time and I was pretty nervous,” senior Cassidy Cooke said. “It was definitely longer than giving regular blood, and I was so cold afterward.”

Other students were not able to donate due to low levels of iron or high blood pressure.

“I have tried to donate blood ever since I was a sophomore, but I never can because my iron is always low,” senior Emma Adams said. “Now I just volunteer as a helper in the blood drive.”

After students were finished donating, they sat at the snack station where NHS students helped pass out snacks and drinks. They were required to sit for 15 minutes before going back to class.

“We had to make sure that everyone felt better in order for them to go back to class,” senior Saloni Jariwala said. “We walked them back up to make sure they didn’t pass out on the stairs.”

The day passed without incident.

“No one passed out this time, so it was a success,” Jariwala said. “Several people donated and I knew that many lives are going to be saved.”