Bison debate students compete at state

Senior Omar Almeida and sophomore Nicollette Arabie work during a debate recess to set the docket for competition.

April Martinez, Co-Editor

The new year brought new challenges for debate students as they traveled to Austin for State Congress competition Jan. 9. Seniors Omar Almeida and Anthony Gonzalez, along with sophomore Nicollette Arabie, competed and qualified for State after sweeping the three state-qualifier spots back in November.

“It was exciting to go back to state competition again,” Arabie said. “I am glad we were able to compete in person this year instead of virtually.”

The state meet is a two-day event that has all competitors debating for two three-and-a-half-hour sessions, one before and one after lunch. It started off with prelim competition on Jan. 10, and the top six competitors from each 20-person chamber advanced to superfinals the next day.

“I did my best to not get in my head,” Almeida said. “I tend to second guess myself when it comes to competing but I just trusted my gut.”

Both Arabie and Almeida made finals. After another day of competition, this time at the state Capitol, Arabie placed 10th in finals and Almeida tied for third, but due to technicalities he placed fourth overall.

“I didn’t expect to place really low, so it was kind of disappointing,” Arabie said. “As a sophomore, I still have more learning to do, but I’m pretty proud of going to state.”

While the state competition was the end of the UIL circuit, the debaters will travel to Temple next month to compete in the NSDA Congress contest in hopes of making nationals in Louisville, Kentucky.

“I am confident that they will advance and do what they need to,” debate coach Melonie Menefee said. “They’ve all been working hard, and there is no reason that they can make it to nationals.”