Students contribute to winning canned food drive at state fair

msm

FFA and FCCLA students joined the crowds at the state fair, bringing food drive items to donate for Leon County.

Emma Adams, Co-Editor

Food, rides, and fun is what you think about when you hear the words Texas State Fair.

The traditional FFA/FCCLA trip to the state fair took a back seat to pandemic precautions last year, which meant students were more eager than ever to hit the fairgrounds this fall. Members brought canned goods to donate and spent the day in Dallas enjoying the event. The tradition continues after taking a year off from the coronavirus last year.

“I woke up earlier than normal that morning to make sure I didn’t get left,” freshman Kayla Padron said. “We were rolling out at 7:30, so I made sure I was waiting there with my canned goods.”

Although the trip was free to all members, students were required to bring six canned goods to donate. For FCCLA students, the first 25 people to pay their dues were allowed to go, along with the cans. When the bus arrived, there were region 4-H and FFA officers waiting to unload them at the gate.

“Leon County won the award for donating the most can goods out of all the surrounding counties,” Ag Agent Cassie Ferguson said. “We were presented the award at the award ceremony, with a plaque, trophy and congratulations. I am so proud of our schools and county for making this happen.”

There was a scavenger hunt for all FFA and FCCLA members to complete before any rides could be ridden.

“We had to hurry up and finish the hunt and meet back up at the front for a 12:00 o’clock check in,” freshman Kaylee Rodriquez said. “Me and my friends made sure we got there ahead of time so we didn’t get in trouble.”

After the check-in students were free to go for the rest of the day to eat, ride rides and have fun. The last check in was at 4:00 to load the bus and head home.

“My favorite part of the fair was definitely getting Boba,” junior Pari Jarawala said. “It’s my favorite drink and I always beg for it anywhere I go. I only rode a few spinning rides because those are my favorite and then I spent the majority of my day with my friends walking around trying different foods.”

Sponsors Chelsea Harter and Caroline Wakefield were the sponsors for the trip and kept an eye on the kids.

“The students did a great job behaving and checking in when they were supposed to,” Wakefield said. “Me and Miss H just walked around and tried food all day while the students rode rides.”