FCCLA members attend leadership conference

FCCLA+members+recite+the+creed+at+the+closing+ceremony+of+their+leadership+conference+last+week.+Students+will+take+what+they+learned+and+use+it+to+improve+their+projects+this+year.+

harter

FCCLA members recite the creed at the closing ceremony of their leadership conference last week. Students will take what they learned and use it to improve their projects this year.

April Martinez, Co-Editor

FCCLA members traveled to Huntsville for their Fall Leadership Conference last Monday. Students attended workshops to learn more about the organization and different STAR events to participate in.

“We had a record total number of participants from FCCLA Region IV,” FCCLA Advisor Amanda Harter said. “We totaled just over 250 students and 12 teachers.”

Regional officers Shelby Johnston and Pari Jariwala, along with Centerville’s Regional officer, hosted the conference. Students were split into groups and went to meetings to learn about different events for competition.

“We focused on Service, Learning and Competitive Events,” Jariwala said. “We had fun activities for them to participate in and handed out candy.”

One of the workshops started off with a guest speaker from Teens in the Driver Seat. Her presentation focused on teen driving and the main causes of crashes.

“I could never imagine getting in a car accident, but crashes have become so common,” senior Saloni Jariwala said. “It really opened my eyes to the reality of it.”

After that, CHS officers as well as president April Martinez and vice president Emma Adams talked about National Programs in Action, an event where students can advocate activities to better their communities.

“I got a better understanding of this event and it made me want to compete in it,” junior Rodrigo Carrillo said. “My partner and I will want to focus on fitness and health.”

In another workshop, Johnston and Jariwala and officers Omar Almeida, Cynthia Sanchez and Seth Whittlesey lead the Parliamentary Procedure meeting. Students made trail mix by making motions and objections on various treats.

“I motioned for three cups of peanuts, but everyone objected,” junior Christian Martinez said. “I just really wanted peanuts.”

To end the conference, everyone met back up for the closing ceremony. Members recited the creed and left for lunch and then, back home.

“It was a lot of fun and I learned a lot,” senior Emma Adams. “I learned things I can bring back to my chapter to help the teams advance to nationals.”