Golf team competes in regional tournament

Junior John Cocking warms up before the first day of regional competition. Cocking placed in the top 20.

Sherlynn Rodriguez, Reporter

The golf team headed to the Brenham Country Club before the flex week off was even over to compete at the regional tournament on April 19 and 20. Junior John Cocking, sophomore Dakota Helfebien, and freshmen Marc Baxter and Payton West all competed.

“I am really proud that the boys were able to compete in regionals,” coach Jonathan Saldana said. “Overall, this season was a big experience for all of us, and these kids went out and gave it their all.”

About 20 schools went into the competition, with 93 participants competing against one another.

“I was really nervous because there were a lot of other people competing,” Helfenbein said. “But I just shook my nerves away and focused on doing my best.”

Although no one placed high enough to advance to state, Cocking placed in the top 20 with a score of 175. Dakota scored 209, Payton 259, and Marc 262. The scores were based off a two-day total score.

“I really enjoyed going out and competing in regionals,” Cocking said. “But I know I could’ve played better. Next year, I really hope to improve and hopefully make it to state.”