Livestock show back in business after missed year

Freshman Nicollette Sheridan keeps an eye on the judge while she shows her hog.

Emma Adams, Reporter

The flex week for the school district was timed well, with students showing animals at the Leon County Livestock Show having the week off to prepare and show rather than stacking up absences like most years. Students in 4-H and FFA had a chance to showcase their work for the year, unlike April of 2020 when the show was cancelled due to the pandemic. 

“I showed Market Steers through 4-H this year,” sophomore Abby Brewer said. “I had the most incredible experience this year and placed Grand Champion in my class and sixth overall. Super blessed to have been able to show this year.”

Various animal groups showed on each day of the week with the sale on Friday night. 

“Due to Covid last year, we weren’t able to show, so our animals basically went to waste,” sophomore Jacob McGill said. “I’m so glad I had the opportunity to show my pig this year and ended up placing in both rounds and overall.”

Even with school out for the Buffalo students, the week was busy and hectic for participants. 

“This year was a little different than it’s ever been before, pens were moved, times and places of shows were moved, but I am just so thankful to have been able to show my steer this year,” sophomore Raylie Ezell said. “I placed fourth in my class and made the sale. Me and my friends have worked hard to get where we are at and even though things were different, show week is still my favorite time of the year.”

The Ag Mech teams swept Grand and Reserved Champions in both team and individual events, and several other BHS students won top spots with their animals, as well.  

“Seeing the judge point at me with the number one held up I couldn’t help but smile,” sophomore Alison Bing said. “I knew I had won Grand champion in my round and it was truly the best feeling ever. I was so happy to be back in the show ring this year and being able to spend show week with my friends and family.”