OAP advances to Bi-District

Community performance schedules for March 22

Actors Lindsey Hardin, Ashley White and Omar Almeida work on a scene at OAP rehearsal. The students spent most Sunday afternoons since returning to school in January at rehearsal.

April Martinez, Reporter

Weeks of hard work came down to a 40-minute performance last Thursday for the One Act Play cast and crew.

Students traveled to Teague High School on Wednesday for tech rehearsal and again on Thursday for competition. The top three shows would earn a Bi-district slot; Buffalo placed second overall. Bi-district will be held at Cameron next Wednesday, with the top two plays there advancing to regional competition.

“The kids have been working so hard, and I’m more than proud of them,” director Katie Villarreal said. “I’m excited to see how far this play will go in competition.”

The theater class held auditions via video during a remote learning week and began rehearsals after winter break. However, COVID and the snowstorm limited the practice time, making it difficult for the students to work on their performance. Sunday practices were essential, and the group also held a lock-in to rehearse for hours.

“We’ve been working nonstop on this play, but it all paid off at the end,” junior Omar Almeida said. “Everyone just needs to keep the same energy for our next performance.”

The students performed House Full of Letters, a story following women living in a post-apocalyptic world and their encounter with an unknown man. They experience intelligence and knowledge which changes their perspective on reality.

“This was a perfect play for this year, when we have battled COVID and political divide and snowstorms and craziness,” director Melonie Menefee said. “It shows what could happen if our society were ever to break down completely, and what will happen if we can’t treat all people as valuable.”

For the actors, this play meant learning to showcase a variety of acting skills.

“This play is different from the previous play,” Lindsay Hardin. “It’s more passionate and requires more emotions.”

A community performance will be held on Monday, March 22. Tickets will be $3 for students and $5 for adults.

“Performing for our home audience is a different experience, but it’s still very exciting,” junior Ashley White said. “I love to show people what I am passionate about: acting.”