Ball seasons start back up after winter storm cancellations

freeman

Sophomore Zayne Johnson works the mound during the baseball tournament in Hillsboro this weekend. The team missed practices and games during the winter storm.

Iris Valles, Assistant Editor

With basketball wrapping up, softball and baseball players are getting their seasons started. Practices began in late January, with the teams missing players still involved in basketball.

The softball team practiced for about two weeks before they faced two opponents as scrimmages. They traveled to Groveton to face the Trinity Tigers and the Groveton Indians.

“We had a couple of girls still in basketball, so our team wasn’t complete, but we got started with what we had,” head coach Chad Ashby said.” I am just glad we got to play because last year we didn’t get to finish the season.”

Sophomore Gavin Pruitt sends the ball back to the pitcher during a tournament game in Hillsboro. The team will play during spring break as well. (freeman)

Many basketball players that play softball only had the skills days on Wednesday to count as their practice. They played a basketball game on Friday night and then the next morning woke up bright and early to play in their softball scrimmage.

“I was exhausted from playing the basketball game,” sophomore Alondra Dominguez said. “But I was ready to get there and play. Softball is one of my favorite sports.”

The baseball team was also missing a few of their players, but that didn’t stop them from practicing and working with what they had.

“We are ready to have everyone so we start working with each other since we lost so many people,” junior Richard Renteria said. “Once everyone gets back we’ll start working together and get to know the new ones and get to enjoy the sport.”

Both the teams saw early-season games canceled by the winter storm.

“We had a scrimmage scheduled against Anderson-Shiro, but we couldn’t find umpires so they canceled it, and then we had a Centerville tournament but the bad weather meant it was canceled,” junior Avery Hardin said. “We have a tournament going now, and hopefully we get more practice against opponents before we start district play.”

The boys were scheduled to have a scrimmage at home as well during the winter storm, but the bad weather canceled it. They are playing in a tournament in Hillsboro this weekend.

“I’ve been waiting since football was over to get to start playing baseball,” senior Benito Avila said. “This weather only made it worse for us seniors getting so much taken away from us, but we try to make the best of it.”