Battle of the Beaks mimics fight for survival

Biology+students+fight+for+survival+in+a+game+of+Battle+of+the+Beaks.+Students+used+makeshift+items+as+beaks+to+gather+food.+

mcmullen

Biology students fight for survival in a game of Battle of the Beaks. Students used makeshift items as beaks to gather food.

Emma Adams, Reporter

Battle of the Beaks was a Biology class activity that challenged students to use different tools such as pliers and clothes pins as their beaks as they worked to survive.

“The beaks were made from spoons, clothes pins and tongs,” freshman Emily Rodriquez said. “We had to compete for food for 30 seconds and see what items our beak could pick up.”

Each table had a different ecosystem tub with food and non-food items; students had a time limit to collect at least 15 food items in order to survive.

“It was really hard because some of the beaks were hard to pick up food with,” freshman Aiden Savage said. “The obstacles also made it harder because some of the food items were too small or too big to pick up.”

Some beaks were more successful than others, and once additional “birds” were at the station, the competition got stiff.

“I used a spoon for my beak,” freshman Canaan Doyle said. “It was successful in some spots but on the other hand it wouldn’t pick up some of the bigger items. This was a fun activity, though. We had a good time.”