Winter storm shuts down state debate competition

Congress contest hampered by both COVID and snow

Debater competitors Nicolette Arabie and Omar Almeida competed through the early hours of the winter storm but then had to postpone finals when UIL decided to wait because so many students were losing power and Internet.

Emma Adams, Reporter

COVID has caused plenty of changes this year, but it wasn’t just the virus that caused the State Congressional Debate contest to go virtual this year. Usually held in Austin on the UT campus during the first week back to school after Christmas break, the event was moved to mid-February to La Vernia High School. UT, like many colleges, this year, is not hosting any extracurricular events on campus. Despite COVID fears, coaches and students were looking forward to their first in-person tournament of the year, eager to see faces, even masked ones.

There were more changes on the way, though. As Valentine’s Day – the day scheduled for prelims – moved closer, so did a historically-large winter storm. On Friday, which was already a late-start day for many schools due to ice that had started hitting the area the previous day, UIL made the decision to go virtual for the meet, but keep the Feb 14-15 contests days set.

“We were packing and getting ready to leave Saturday morning,” debate coach Melonie Menefee said. “I was so worried that we would not be able to make it home after the contest on Monday, though. I was relieved when the decision was made to go virtual.”

The lack of travel didn’t mean there was a lack of worry, though. With the storm barreling down and the team worried about travel even to and from school to compete, they made plans.

“I was also worried about us being able to get back and forth for competition,” Menefee said. “I was worried about how soon it would ice up on Sunday and worried we would not be able to get home that night and then back on Monday. So I stocked up groceries to fix in Mrs. Isaacs’ kitchen and we brought blankets and bedding and got ready to settle in for the weekend.”

While senior Kyle Hurst felt that his Internet connection was strong enough for him to compete from home, freshman Nicollette Arabie and junior Omar Almeida

“It was a very crazy time and everyone was scared of losing power,” junior Omar Almedia said. Almeida walked the last quarter mile to the school on  Sunday morning because the roads were so icy and his brother needed to get back home to their mom. “We had to spend the night at the school because it was storming so bad and the roads were in no condition to drive.”

With both at-school students making finals and the snow already falling, Menefee said she was glad they had come prepared to stay. They prepped for finals and then settled in for the night. After a restless night, they woke up to inches of snow and were relieved that they had stayed.

And then, UIL decided that because so many people were losing electricity and the Internet across the state that they would postpone finals.

“I was competing at home,” Hurst, who had also made finals, said. “My internet was already out and wasn’t coming back on anytime soon. There was no way I could make it up to the school to compete in finals, so I’m glad they ended up postponing it.”

Arabie’s dad was able to get to the school in his truck and get the students home. Principal John Clements made it to school as well and drove Menefee home.

“Mr. Arabie offered to bring me home, but I was trying to finish up some things for OAP,” Menefee said. “When Mr. Clements brought me home and I saw how bad the roads were, I was thankful he came by. My Prius would never have made it.”

The following days brought more snow and ice as well as temps that dropped briefly below zero. School was out for most of the state for the whole week.

“We ended up finishing with finals on the Tuesday after the storm,” Menfee said. “All three of our competitors made finals, which is a first for BHS. None of them finished in the top six to earn a medal, but it was still a great year for Congressional Debate. And definitely the most unique tournament situation I have ever coached through.”