Snow day shuts down school

Students will make up bad weather day March 28

pate photo

The buffalo statue in front of the school was covered in ice and snow, as were many of the roads, causing administration to change from a planned late start to a full bad weather day on January 24. Faculty and staff will make up the day on March 28.

Three days into a four day week, faculty and staff across the district received an unexpected extra day off. As a white blanket covered the town, and the cold weather caused frozen roads and hazardous conditions for drivers, the whole county basically shut down for the day.

The winter precipitation was a surprise, as through early afternoon on Thursday, weather apps were predicting cold, but no snow or ice. At the end of the school day, it was expected to sleet some, and superintendent Lacy Freeman announced a planned late start for Friday morning. That morning, however, it was apparent that it was not worth the risk of travelling for school.

“I won’t like making the day up later in the year,” engineering teacher Kyle Gleghorn said. “But the buses weren’t running properly, so we did the right thing.”

The students, having the day off, took their time and tried to make the most out of their day off to run and play in the snow.

“I got my old skateboard out,” senior Ty Bryson said. “Took the wheels and trucks off and rode down a hill.”

In an area not known for much snow, students had to be creative to make the most of it.

“I attempted to build a snowman,” senior Jacob Deborde said. “But the snow was not right for one.”

Halfway through the day, the snow began to melt and the sun started to come out from behind the clouds. Some students thought that even though the snow didn’t last that long, the school did the right thing to close the school.

“The snow and ice made driving difficult,” senior Daniel Rivas said. “So I think they did the right thing.”

Others still feel that the snowy conditions were not as bad as reports indicated. And, compared to the rest of the country, seems reasonable.

“The roads were not even that bad,” senior Bryce Thornley said. “They were not even really wet. I didnt have any problems driving on the road, but I don’t mind not going to school.”

With two major winter storms already come and gone in January, along with numerous cold snaps and the promise of more possible snow on the way, the snow may just keep coming. With only one bad weather day left, the administration will make good use of any days needed.

“Of course, the first priority for everyone, always, is the safety of the students,” teacher Melonie Menefee said. “It’s easy to decide that things aren’t bad because maybe on a well-traveled road it isn’t. We have plenty of students and teachers down smaller back roads, though, and it’s important that everyone be able to make it to school safely.”