Shutdown affects tax returns

A 1040 tax form appears on display, Tuesday, Jan. 10, 2017, in New York. The IRS is delaying tax refunds for millions of low-income families as the agency steps up efforts to combat identity theft and fraud. Starting in 2017, a federal law requires the tax agency to delay refunds until Feb. 15 for people who claim the earned income tax credit and the additional child tax credit. The IRS says processing times will delay most of the refunds until the end of February. (AP Photo/Mark Lennihan)

With the government shutdown in day 17, the White House announced today that tax refunds will be sent out. However, experts are not sure how the IRS will manage, as 88 percent of IRS workers are on furlough. Currently, there are no expectations that tax assistance will be available for taxpayers who need help or have questions in filing their claims. In 2018, the IRS started their filing season on January 29 and received 18.3 million returns by the end of that workweek. No start to the filing season has been announced for this year.