Chemistry students build rockets

Chemistry students build rockets

To actually learn how the scientific process works, chemistry students conducted a bottle rocket experiment but by the second day students were supposed to launch their rockets again the air pump broke.

“The first launch was very promising and me and my partner, Asa Henson, won the chem tickets for the farthest distance,” sophomore Benito Avila said. “I was very disappointed when we couldn’t go again.”

Before creating and launching their own rockets, students previously watched  rockets launched in a class demonstration.

“I was excited to see what my students came up with,”chemistry teacher Mrs. Cox said. “Most of them looked pretty cool and that could work.”

Student had the chance to create their rockets and were given three variables that they could change.

“My group chose two variables, which were the fins and the nose cone,” sophomore Betsy Martinez said. “I learn that putting the fins of the rocket backwards didn’t help.”

While learning how the scientific process works, students also learned that launching a rocket was harder than they thought.

“Some of the rockets in my class went everywhere because of the variables they chose and nobody expected that it would difficult to launch a rocket,” sophomore Bocho Villagomez said. “I will never forget this experiment and I will know scientific process works.”