Meet the Bison brings in record-setting donations

The gym was packed, the overflow crowd lining the rails at the top of the bleachers and more faces peering in through the cafeteria windows. The crowd roared in excitement, the sound echoing through the gym as each team was introduced. The school year had started, and athletes took a break from practices to take part in the annual Meet the Bison event.

“Everyone was excited to meet the new coaches and see what they have in store for the team this year,” senior Luis Porras said. “I think that’s why a lot of people showed up this year.”

The community support was evident from the start. The bidding reached record levels throughout the evening.

“I was pretty amazed that this year the community was so intent on donating to the teams,” Porras said. “It really shows that they care and truly support us, and that means a lot to us.”

A record-setting $17,000 was donated throughout the evening on the cake and parking space auctions.

“I do not think we have ever raised near as much money as we did this year,” senior Makayla Gilliam said. “At least we never have in my time in high school.”

Athletes said they were very excited that the community was donating so much money to them and their programs.

“We were all pumped to see the community involved,” senior Hector Dominguez said. “I think seeing how much support we have has motivated us to really go out there and make use of their time and money.”

The money donated will go into each individual program and will be used for needed expenses.  

“The money donated is far more than appreciated,” Gilliam said. “I know there is a lot of great things that will come from the money concerning new uniforms and equipment for the athletes.”