UIL students create individual Bison paintings

A trip to Painting with a Twist was the reward for students who participated in this year’s UIL and OAP programs, along with a pizza lunch and a little shopping.

“This was the first time I had ever gone to Painting with a Twist and it was super fun,” sophomore Yomele Almeida said. “I was able to go on this trip because I competed in UIL number sense. My favorite part of the whole trip was getting to paint, because it was enjoyable and relaxing.”

Each of the students painted their own Bison, personalizing it at the end of the session.

“I put committed, #LB4L, and Psalm 144:1 in the middle of my bison,” freshman Mollie Dittmar said. “I put that to remind me of the basketball journey that the team and I have gone on this year. Also we went to state so I figured that was a nice little thing to put there.”

While the students painted, the employees at Painting with a Twist put on some music for them to listen to. The students knew almost every song, so they sang along as they painted. During one of the songs, the people at painting with twist said that the students sounded like a choir.

“It was fun to let loose and not worry about my voice since everyone else was doing the same thing,” sophomore Dylan Cornish said. “The funniest part was when we were taking a group picture and the song Grenade came on. Everyone smiled for the camera, but when we were done taking pictures everyone started singing along.”

The students were treated to lunch at Double Dave’s. After they ate, they were able to go in groups and explore the stores that were near the restaurant.

“The food we had was really great; I absolutely loved the cinnamon sticks,” sophomore Carina Sanchez said. “After eating, I went with a group of friends to some of the stores and looked around. It kind of gave me a sense of freedom and trust. Overall the trip was really fun and I would love to do it again.”