NHS sponsors blood drive

More than two dozen people donated blood for the spring NHS blood drive with the American Red Cross last week.

“I feel like the blood drive went really well,” NHS sponsor Anna Bailey said. “We had an amazing turnout.”

The blood drive was open to students 16 and older who passed a medical screening. Students who signed up were given appointment times to leave class and donate.

“After I gave blood, they realized they had made a mistake,” junior Nadia Garcia said. “Since I had been to Mexico recently, they had to throw out my donation. They only realized because my sister tried to donate and she had been to the same part of Mexico. I really wanted to keep my blood, but they wouldn’t let me.”

Students who gave blood were allowed to sit and eat until they regained their strength. Sophomore Tana Cleveland said she felt “horrible” after donating.

“This was my first time giving blood,” sophomore Tana Cleveland said. “I was a little scared beforehand, but it wasn’t that bad. I did feel pretty worn out afterwards.”

The drive was run by NHS members. Students worked in shifts to take students to and from the blood drive.

“Once I was done giving blood, I stayed and helped students get back to class,” Cleveland said. “It felt really good to help people save lives.”