UIL represents well at Fairfield meet

Last Saturday, UIL students traveled to Fairfield and competed in the last practice meet before the real competition. This meet wasn’t nearly as big or as long as the Palestine meet, but the students still gave it their all, and the results show it.

“Everyone did a great job,” UIL coach Melonie Menefee said. “We had students place in all but one event that we entered. I was very pleased with the results, and I think we are well on our way to being ready for district next month.”

Unlike the last meet which was a two day meet, this meet was only a one day meet. Many of the students said that they have benefited from this meet, and that they have improved in some way from the last meet.

“I did improve in certain areas, just not in the areas that were on this test,” junior Kaiden Loep said. “I am not pleased with how I did, because I know I could have done so much better. At least now I know what I need to brush up on before the real competition.”

Almost all of our students placed in the competitions and brought home medals. Natalie Uptmor placed first in computer science, fifth in mathematics, and was on the second place number sense team; Kaiden Loep placed second in computer science; Evan Grisham placed fourth in computer science, third in persuasive, and third in current events; Sheri Donaldson place third in poetry; Tana Cleveland placed fourth in poetry; Taylor Lack placed sixth in poetry; Zach White placed sixth in prose; Colby Menefee placed fifth in prose, fifth in News Writing, forth in Editorial Writing, and first in Headline Writing; Carina Sanchez placed sixth in Ready Writing; Nadia Garcia placed fourth in persuasive; Noah Rubel place second in informative; Jose Sanchez placed third in number sense; and Sonia Dominguez placed second in accounting.

“I don’t know who all placed, but I was proud of everyone that competed,” sophomore Yomele Almeida said. “I was especially proud of Jose Sanchez for placing third in number sense. I am proud of him because I know that he is really good at working with numbers, and he deserved this.”

The academics and writing competition will be on March 22 and speech and debate will be on March 31.

“I don’t feel like I’m ready for the real competition, but I’m going to do my best,” sophomore Carina Sanchez said. “Even though this is not my first time competing in this event, it sure feels like it is. I just want to make my coach proud, and hopefully I will by doing better than how I did at the practice meets.”