Start Of Volleyball Season

Today marks the start of volleyball teams district play. This season, the girls have a new head and assistant coach along with a few new players.

“I love Coach Skelton and Coach Gleghorn,” junior Aileen Ramirez said. “They’ve helped us to improve in so many ways and so have some of our freshmen additions.”

The Lady Bison have been preparing for their season since the beginning of August. The team began preseason with 2-a-day workouts followed by two tournaments.

“Workouts were hard, but the only thing I could think about while we were going through them was how much better we were going to be,” junior Kaylee Morgan said. “So far, all of our hardwork has paid off.”

The team won third place in the Bronze Division at the Eustace tournament. The Lady Bison won their first game against the North Dallas Bulldogs in three matches,  25- 16,20-25 and 25-18. The team went on to fall to Blooming Grove in three, 25-21, 19- 25 and 12-25. In a fight for third place, the girls defeated Kerens 10-25, 25- 21 and 25-20.

“Third place is good, but it is not satisfying,” junior Kassidy Bell said. “If we ever become satisfied we’ll never accomplish our goals. We have to continue to want to improve if we want to accomplish them.”

The team has shown “tremendous improvements” since the start of the season. Their main focus is to keep up the hard work to secure a spot in playoffs.

“I think one of the main reasons we have gotten better is because we’ve grown closer as a team,” senior Noel Rubel said. “We’re all on one accord and that’s going to be very beneficial for us as we advance through the season.”