Nicola Yoon’s debut novel is a winner

Everything, Everything: the book that is all about risking it all for love. Bestselling author Nicola Yoon brings readers a poetic love story of a girl who realizes that life is more than just being alive. 

Madeline Whittier is allergic to the world. Her disease, SCID (Severe Combined Immunodeficiency), is “as rare as it is famous” and has prevented her from leaving her house for 17 years. As a teenager who has never swum in the ocean, felt the sun on her face or felt the grass between her bare toes, Maddy is the queen of quarantine. The only company she has is her mom, a doctor, and her nurse Carla, who has to go through an extensive sanitation process before she can enter the Whittier’s sterile house. However, Madeline’s life is thrown off balance when Olly’s family moves in next door, and the two teenagers begin a virtual relationship. Within the time span of only a few days, Maddy takes a risk even bigger than falling in love with Olly. 

Everything, Everything is much more than just a typical young adult novel about a sick teen- it’s a captivating coming-of-age romance book with a major plot twist. Yoon’s writing style is unique, detailed, and definitely packs a punch. The graphics throughout the novel make an impact and help readers feel more connected to the story. Lyrical and romantic, Yoon’s debut novel is clean and wholesome. 

There’s something about Madeline’s situation that creates a thrilling, vibrant feeling that made me fall in love with the aesthetic vibe of Everything, Everything. This extraordinary novel is full of heart and took my breath away. You won’t want to miss out on Maddy’s unexperienced, adolescent journey as she learns to take risks and live her life. 

Although it was a spectacular book, the ending makes it clear that this isn’t the end of Maddy and Olly’s love story. Sadly, Everything, Everything is not part of a series, meaning the rest of the story is left to the imagination of the reader. 

I would definitely recommend Everything, Everything to every hopeless romantic in the world. Filled with diverse characters that you just can’t help but root for, this novel will give readers butterflies. 

However, if you aren’t a fan of slightly-cliche, sensitive language, then this book is not for you. The target audience is for young adults and teenagers and it great for that age range, but I wouldn’t suggest this novel for more realistic, mature readers. 

Overall, Everything, Everything was an exceptional read with soft, lovely vibes, perfect for fans of The Fault in Our Stars