CDE event practice meets kick off the season

In late January, the Vet Science, Floriculture, Poultry and Milk Quality Production FFA teams traveled to Katy for their first contest of the season. For many of the competitors, this was their first time to compete in a Career Development Event.

“The first contest is always a scary one, especially for the new competitors,” senior Marissa Delacruz said. “There are so many people, and so much you have to remember, that it can easily intimidate those competing for the first time. However, it is good practice because it helps new members get a feel of what contest is like, and what they can expect at other contests.”

Each team did well for their first contest. Milk Quality Production finished 18 out of 34 teams, Vet Science finished 32 out of 91 teams, and Poultry finished 48 out of 58 teams. Floriculture did the best, finishing eighth out of 67 teams, with senior Ally Smith placing ninth individually.

“I was excited to find out that my team placed eighth and that Ally placed ninth individually,” senior April Johnson said. “It shows that our team members are working hard and improving. I’m looking forward to a great year with my team.”

Even though floriculture did the best, members of the other teams also had some good moments.

“I’ve participated in MQP for two years, and the score that I earned at this contest was a personal best,” sophomore Skylar Randle said. “I was excited because not only did I rank first on my team, but I improved a lot since last year. I’m so ready for the next contest.”

Unlike athletic teams, FFA teams compete against all size schools, not just the ones in their district.

“Mr. Goff and I are very happy with how our teams performed,” ag teacher Mikaela Hall said. “Many of the teams that we compete against are from much larger schools than ours, so at these invitationals, they might have more people competing than we do. We are looking forward to improving for the contests coming up.”

The reason that these teams compete in invitationals like this one is to not only become more experienced but to gain skills that they can use in their future careers.

“We like to go to these early contests to get the members excited about CDE season,” Hall said. “My favorite thing about CDE’s is that students learn dedication, time management skills, and study skills. Based on the results from this contest, we are looking forward to a successful CDE season.”