Meyers puts characters in a new light

Meyers puts characters in a new light

A decade after publishing her first and most popular novel Twilight, author Stephenie Meyer has gone on to  publish many books, including Life and Death: Twilight Reimagined. This novel is a part of the Twilight saga, but not as the fifth book in the series. Instead, Life and Death is the tenth anniversary edition of Twilight, and it casts Twilight in a whole new light.

Beaufort Swan is your average smart, awkward, uncoordinated, friendly, blue-eyed, tall, quirky seventeen-year-old boy. However, Edythe Cullen is a different story. With pale porcelain skin that’s cold to the touch, golden eyes, a mesmerizing voice, super speed, gratefulness unfit for any human, and other supernatural gifts, Edythe Cullen is anything but your average seventeen-year-old girl. When Beau moved to the gloomy town of Forks, he never expected to meet anyone as fascinating as Edythe Cullen. He never expected to talk to, befriend, or even get into a relationship with anyone as captivating as her. However, Edythe tries to warn Beau that she is a dangerous creature, who could kill him or hurt him at any moment, but he doesn’t care. He just wants to be with her. What Beau doesn’t realize is that by dismissing her warnings, he has put himself and those he loves at risk, and that his once boring life has been changed forever.

“You said you loved me,” she whispered.

“You already knew that.”

“It was different hearing the words.”

“I love you. You are my life now.” ~ Life and Death

I discovered the book Life and Death, two years ago when a friend of mine told me that Meyer had published a book for the ten year anniversary of Twilight. I had already read the other Twilight books, so of course I had to give this one a read, and I’m glad I did. This book was great and I absolutely loved it. At first, I thought that Life and Death: Twilight Reimagined was going to be exactly the same as Twilight, and that the only difference would be that the genders/ gender roles of the characters were reversed. I was wrong. Sure, Life and Death is similar to Twilight, and a lot of the things that happen are the same, but at the same time a lot of things are different. This book allows readers to get a glimpse of what Twilight would have been like, if Bella had been a boy and Edward had been a girl which I thought was really cool. This book kept my attention from start to finish, and I would recommend it to anyone.   

I absolutely loved this book and I really hope that Meyer re-imagines New Moon, Eclipse, and Breaking Dawn, the way she re-imagined Twilight in Life and Death. If you like reading about vampires, romance, or if you loved the original Twilight book, then this is definitely the book to read. If you’re interested in purchasing Life and Death: Twilight Reimagined, it is available at Barnes and Noble or on Amazon.