GEMS groups creates bubbles

The young girls rushed outside to the benches. They took out their their bubble makers and dipped them into the bubble solution. The girls kept ready as they waited for the winners to be announced.

The GEMS, Girls Engineering Math and Science group, held a meeting after school in a competition related to bubble making.

“The leaders were first told that we were going to have a huge bubble making competition, we were excited too” freshman Raeleigh Rhodes said. “When we told the young girls, they were even more excited than us.”

The meeting first began with the GEMS leaders showing an example of making bubbles with a few bubble makers made out of string and sticks.

“Mrs. Cox first illustrated a demonstration with her own bubble maker,” junior Yomele Almeida said. “I think this gave the girls a better understanding on what to do.”

The three groups, third graders, fourth graders and fifth graders, first combined into a group competition in groups of partners.  

“When we told them they were allowed to all participate together, they were excited,” junior Brenda Garcia said. “They usually separate into grades, so I think this was unique to them.”

The girls were allowed to make and test their own bubble makers made out of cups, straws, popsicle sticks and other equipment.

“It was a very creative idea for them to have control to make their own,” GEMS leader Tana Cleveland said. “I know I would enjoy being able to design a bubble maker of my choice.”

The competition was focused on three categories: who could make the biggest bubble, who could make the most amount, and who could make a square bubble.

“When Mrs. Cox announced that it was going to be a competition, the girls put there game faces on,” junior Makayla Gilliam said. “I think that just gave them a push to be extra creative with their bubble makers.”

The young girls struggled most in an effort to make square bubbles.

“It was so cute seeing them trying to make a square bubble, even though it’s not possible,” senior Nadia Garcia said. “Honestly, I was trying really hard to make one too.”

The GEMS leaders were able to watch and decide the winners in each category.

“The rest of the GEMS leaders and students clapped for the different groups who thought won,” junior LaSundra Robinson said. “It was great seeing three groups so happy to hear us clapping for them.”

The winners were allowed to choose and keep a bubble maker of their choice.

“It was so cute seeing them so excited to choose their own bubble maker to keep,” freshman Sydney Lebel said. “It was even better seeing how proud they were for winning.”