Basketball teams compete against Malakoff

Nothing stopped the Buffalo Lady Bison and Bison from competing, not even frozen and icy roads.

After their district game was postponed due to bad weather, the boys’ and girls’ basketball teams hosted a game against Malakoff on Wednesday night instead of Tuesday.

“We had been preparing for Malakoff ever since we lost to them during the first round of district,” junior Melanie McGill said. “The weather might have delayed the game, but I was still really excited.”

Earlier in the season, the girls’ basketball team fell to Malakoff. Now, at the second round of district, the Lady Bison came out victorious and made the Malakoff crowd upset.

“I was proud of myself and my team for coming out with the win,” sophomore Samantha Pate said. “I was also proud that we didn’t lose our focus, even when Malakoff’s crowd started to get out of hand.”

Senior Ryan Rath stays poised and ready to steal the ball away during a varsity basketball game. Rath has had scouts from several different colleges attend games this season. Menefee photo

The Buffalo Bison basketball team did not have the same outcome, falling to Malakoff by only a couple of points.

“We worked really hard,” senior Ryan Rath said. “When we play them again, it will be a different story.”

The two basketball teams will continue their district seasons and hope to make it to playoffs.

“The main goal right now is playoffs,” junior Dirk Kilgore said. “After that, who knows what might happen.”