Buffalo hosts speech meet

Last Saturday, BHS hosted a speech meet, with students competing in multiple events, including the newest NSDA event, Big Question Debate.

“We wanted to host a Big Question debate so we could make a little money,” coach Melonie Menefee said. “Right now, grant money pays your team if you host a meet that includes Big Question, because they are trying to let everyone try it out.

In Big Question at Buffalo, senior Nadia Garcia and sophomore Colby Menefee placed first; second place went to juniors Sheri Donaldson and Tana Cleveland.

“Our last debate was really intense,” Garcia said. “I wasn’t sure how Colby and I would do, but I was happy when we won champions.”  

Before starting the Big Question part of the meet, the tournament also included competition in UIL speaking events. In prose interpretation, Cleveland placed first and freshman Alex Grizzle placed third. A prose program includes different prose pieces, it has to be read within seven minutes and has two categories.

“I really prefer prose over poetry,” Grizzle said. “I like it because it tells a story and takes a stand on certain subjects.”

In poetry, Donaldson placed first and senior David Alcantar placed second. Donaldson won a bronze medal at the state meet last year in poetry.

“I was glad to get first,” Donaldson said. “This meet gave me good practice to be better in district.”

Junior Noah Rubel, freshman Raeleigh Rhodes and senior Kaiden Leop all competed in Lincoln-Douglas debate. Loep placed first, with Rubel coming in third and Rhodes tying for fourth.

“I was so surprised when I won,” Loep said. “It is my first year so I’m not really that experienced, but I enjoy it a lot.”

In extemporaneous speaking, contestants are given a topic and have to make a seven minute speech in 30 minutes. In the Persuasive category, Garcia placed first, with Colby Menefee placing second. In Informative, Rubel placed first.

“I’ve been doing extemp a long time,” Garcia said. “I love the rush it gives me and I like the challenge.”