“The Lovely Bones” is heartbreaking

The Lovely Bones is heartbreaking

“My name is Salmon, like the fish; first name Susie. I was 14 years old when I was murdered on December 6, 1973. I was here for a moment and then I was gone. I wish you all a long and happy life.”

The Lovely Bones, in which 14-year-old Susie Salmon dreams of going on to pursue her dreams of being a photographer, is a story of murder through the eyes of the victim. Salmon is just like every teenage girl, she has a crush on a boy who she believes doesn’t even know she exists, she has hopes and dreams for her future. The story is set back in 1973, and it shows scenery and clothing set from this time frame.

The movie came out in 2009, starring Mark Wahlberg, Rachel Weisz, Susan Sarandon and many other actors. The film is about Susie, who is called by her last name — Salmon — who faces the tragedy of being murdered, her murderer has not been found guilty or even truly questioned about the murder. Her murderer has tried his best to prevent being found guilty and even tore down the location in which Salmon was murdered. Detectives have completely disregarded him as the murderer.

Salmon’s father has not given up on finding her murderer and doesn’t not plan on giving up until her murderer is found. As time goes by, Salmon’s mother gets fed up with her husband’s mission of finding their daughter’s murderer. Her father’s quest rubs off on Salmon’s sister,  Lindsey, who follows a neighbor by the name of George Harvey and believes he is the murderer at fault.

This movie is a veritable flood of memories and emotions coming at the viewer from all directions. There are moments for laughter as well as time for tears as the story unfolds. Each character grows on the audience and catches the heart of each viewer. The details make the story a treasure to watch unfold.