Student Spotlight: Betsy Martinez

The crowd stares and her nerves rise as she concentrates to serve the ball hard enough to make it over the net. She lets out all her anger on the ball and makes her serve to score for the Bison. The crowd goes wild, and freshman Betsy Martinez sighs in relief.

Freshman Betsy Martinez is a busy girl just like most high school students. She is involved in FCCLA, student council, softball, theatre, cheer, and volleyball, is her favorite activity.

“I love volleyball because it helps me release my anger when I hit the ball,” Martinez said. “The bus rides back are my favorite because that is when the team bonds by singing, goofing around and just being girls.”

Betsy is on the JV team this year working hard to earn a spot on varsity for the upcoming year. She enjoyed volleyball season even if they had more losses than wins because the team had fun playing.

“I remember the team feeling down after a game one day because we lost,” Betsy said. “I told them to cheer up because we played with our heart and tried our best and  that is all that matters.”

Betsy has been cheering since junior high and is on the cheer team this year with hopes to cheer throughout high school. It’s not hard to spot Betsy on Friday nights; she is the loud and energetic girl jumping around cheering the team on.

“Betsy is a great cheerleader and a fun person to be around,” sophomore cheerleader Andrea Daniel said. “She learns the dances quickly and she pushes herself to be on of the best.”

Being involved in many activities takes time and support from others; her mom supports her and motivates her to be the best she can be. Betsy’s mom’s support is valuable to her because she  wants to be the first person to graduate high school and go to college in her family

“My mom is always there for me, whether it’s to drive me to and from practices or just providing me with things I need for school,” Betsy said. “She expects a lot from me, and I want to be able to make her proud.”

Aside from her busy schedule, if she’s not doing homework, Betsy likes to hang out with friends and just do whatever they are in the mood for. When she is not cheering on JV she likes to go and support them in the stands.

“Betsy and I are really good friends,” freshman Katy Webb said. “We both share the same crazy and bubbly personality.”