Astros winning the World Series is a Huge Deal

LOS ANGELES, CA – NOVEMBER 01: The Houston Astros celebrate defeating the Los Angeles Dodgers 5-1 in game seven to win the 2017 World Series at Dodger Stadium on November 1, 2017 in Los Angeles, California. (Photo by Kevork Djansezian/Getty Images)

Last Wednesday night, the Houston Astros made history by becoming the World Series Champions for the first time in franchise history. The Astros defeated the LA Dodgers in game seven of the World Series on November, 1 with a score of 5-1.

This was one of the most evenly matched, hard fought World Series in the history of Major League Baseball. It was the first Fall Classic since 1970, that featured two teams that each had at least 100 wins during the regular season. The Astros have been working towards accomplishing this goal, since their first season in 1962, and this year, they finally put an end to the 55 year MLB championship drought.

Both Houston and Los Angeles, set the record for most runs in a single World Series, and up until game seven, this was anyone’s game. Here are the scores to prove it:

Game 1 Game 2 Game 3 Game 4 Game 5 Game 6 Game 7
Houston Astros 1 7 5 2 13 1 5
LA Dodgers 3 6 3 6 12 3 1

For the people of Houston, the Astros winning the World Series was an emotional event. Since a lot of people couldn’t attend the games that took place in Los Angeles, Astros fans filled Minute Maid Stadium and watched the games there. Many people said that Houston deserved this because they have been through so much due to Hurricane Harvey.

The Astros winning the World Series was such a huge deal to the state of Texas, that Texas Governor, Greg Abbott, proclaimed November 3, 2017, as Houston Astros Day. To read Governor Greg Abbott’s proclamation visit:

https://gov.texas.gov/news/post/governor-abbott-proclaims-november-3rd-houston-astros-day-in-texas