Speech team steps up

Speech team steps up

With competition season around the corner, the speech and debate team traveled to Lindale High School last Saturday to compete in a tournament with schools ranging in size from 2A to 6A.

“Some us have a regional competition in two weeks,” senior Taylor Lack said. “This meet was one of our last chances to prepare for that.”

The team had already competed at Lindale earlier this year. This time they came back with better results.

“At this meet we had three people receive medals for three different events,” senior Lilah Adams said. “ We had several other make it to semi-finals and finals in their events as well.”

Those who broke to finals and placed included junior Sheri Donaldson who placed fifth in poetry,  junior Kayleigh Rhodes who placed fifth in LD debate, and Rhodes also placed fifth in Big Question debate with her partner junior Josalyn Taylor.

“I was really surprised at myself over how much I improved,” Rhodes said. “I am beyond proud of my team and my partner. We had a really good meet.”

Several of the students will travel to A&M Consolidated High School on November 15 to compete in congressional debate. This meet will determine who advances to state.

“I am really excited for the district meet,” Adams said. “I have been preparing for this event for quite awhile now.”