“Moonlight” sheds light on teen issues

Grace Vanderwaal is a 13-year-old artist from Suffern, New York. In September 2016 she won the eleventh season of America’s Got Talent. Vanderwaal released her first EP in December of 2016 and has since continued to create and share her music with ears all across the world.

This November Vanderwaal released a full-length album titled Just the Beginning, and is also set to start her first tour the same month. This album includes songs such as Moonlight. Which includes lyrics such as; Now she lost her way, And she forgets to smile, Never gets a break from this life in denial.

The song seems to be about a girl in a relationship she imagined and believed would last a lifetime. However, something came along which changed the status of the relationship which left the girl hurting and broken. Now she doesn’t know what to do with herself and how she will continue acting as though she is happy and is not affected by the recent issues in her life.

The song has catchy beat which makes the song seem upbeat, however the story hidden in the lyrics gives off a different vibe. It seems as though a few of the songs from the album have this tone given off. Other songs from this album have stories about “darkness” following her and continuing to chase her through her life. They each have a story of a relationship, which seems to be the theme of the album, in my opinion I feel as though she went with this theme because most teens deal with this issue of being hurt by a relationship and falling into depression or letting the ending of a relationship run their lives.