FFA students compete at the Heart of Texas fair

The smell of funnel cakes and fried pies in the air, fair rides and laughter with friends, these things are nothing short of what people experience when they go to the Heart O’ Texas fair.

Last month, the FFA traveled to the Heart O’ Texas fair at the Extraco Events Center in McLennan County. There are many events at the fair, one of which the FFA competed in was livestock showing and agriculture.

“It was my first ever time competing at this fair,” Ashley White said. “I really enjoyed it a lot; it was super big and scary at first but after that, I was all good.”

FFA members sophomore Reyna Ramirez, sophomore Emma Reeder and eighth grader Ashley White all competed in the fair. FFA teacher Henry Goff was really happy with his students and their outcomes.

“These kid’s dedication to FFA and their animals never cease to amaze me,” Goff said. “They just went out there and gave it their all, and that’s all I could ask for.”

One of the most competitive events was goat showing. Sophomore Emma Reeder got 11th place out of 22 competitors in her individual class.

“I’ve been showing goats since I was in the seventh grade, and loved it ever since,” Reeder said. “I’m proud that I got 11th in this show because it is one of the biggest ones in the state of Texas.”