Fall blood drive collects 60 units

With two passed-out teenagers and a total of about 60 pints of blood taken from 57 people, the fall blood drive was a success.

The blood drive was October 17 from 8:45 to 3:15 in the practice gym. There were 57 students and staff members that gave blood. All of the time slots were full, but they even had some time to work in extra students and staff members that wanted to give. To be able to give they had to be at least 16 years of age and pass the eligibility test.

“I couldn’t give blood because I went out of the country this summer,” senior Yzabel Salazar said. “I really wanted to give twice this year, so I could have my red cord at graduation, but the place that I visited this summer had a high risk of Malaria.”

During lunch some students went down to the blood drive with their friends that were giving for moral support.

“After I found out I couldn’t give blood I was kind of bummed,” Salazar said. “Then I saw Troy and Kaiden and decided to make sure they were alright as they gave. I helped them get back to the cafeteria after they gave too.”

National Honor Society members worked the blood drive at the sign in table.

“I worked the blood drive to help make sure it was all organized and people were signing in,” senior Nadia Garcia said. “I also liked to see my friends and help make sure they were calm and relaxed before they went to check their eligibility.”

There were snacks for the people that gave blood to help stabilize their vitals.

“I helped make sure people were eating and drinking after they gave blood, because some weren’t looking or feeling very good,” Garcia said. “I gave blood, too, but I made sure to eat some cookies and drink Gatorade afterwards, so I felt fine.”

Most of the people who gave blood were seniors, and they will receive a red cord for graduation.

“I wanted to give blood twice this year to help save lives and get my red cord for graduation,” senior Lauren Beshears said. “I passed the eligibility questions, and then they made me wait and drink a bottle of water before I gave.”

Even though some people passed the eligibility test, there were other things that made them unable to give.

“After the guy had me set up in the chair and had just put the needle in, no blood came out,” Beshears said. “I asked the guy why and he said it was because I have small veins and it collapsed, blocking the blood flow. Hopefully I can give in the spring and not have my arm stabbed with a needle for no reason.”

Junior Ernesto Rios said he got nervous for no reason because he couldn’t give after all.

“I was really nervous to give blood because I never have before,” Rios said. “I was scheduled to give at 11:15. Sadly, when I got to the donation site, I was informed that I wasn’t able to give.”

If the students were 16 years old, they had to have a parents permission to give.

“The person at the sign-in table said that my papers were signed in pencil and that they had to be signed in pen in order for me to be able to give,” Rios said. “We were never told to have our papers signed in pen, but hopefully I can give next time.”

Not everyone who signed up went through with their decision.

“I had signed up to give at 2:45,” sophomore Joel Avalos said. “I was extremely nervous because I had never given before, and I’m not a big fan of needles.”

Avalos said he really wanted to give, but his nerves got the best of him.

“During the day I watched videos of the needle going into people’s arms and heard stories of how people passed out from giving blood or just from seeing it,” Avalos said. “I decided not to give because of how nervous I was. I really wanted to help save lives, but I got too nervous this time; maybe I can give next time.”