Cross-Country runners compete in district

The wind blew cold, causing the runners to shake. The teams try to warm themselves up by moving, pacing, or bouncing on their heels. “Runners to your mark,” a man shouts from the side. Anxious to start, the runners step to the line and prepare themselves. The man holds to gun up to mark the beginning of the race. Bang!

After earning their spot at district competition, senior Daniella Reyes and junior Jose Diaz will compete in the regional cross-country meet next week. Reyes placed tenth in district, and Diaz placed fifth.

“My one goal going into this meet was to make it to regionals,” Reyes said. “I had to fight for that spot, and I am excited to get the chance to compete again.”

The district meet was held in Elkhart, and six teams participated. Most of the boys’ varsity runners placed in the top 20. However, only the top 10 were able to advance to regionals.

“I was close to making the cut to go to regionals,” sophomore Joel Avalos said. “However, I still have two years to get that chance.”

The varsity girl runners pushed themselves and some placed in the top 20. However, the cold was a key component to their performance.

“The air was cold and it made it hard to breathe,” senior Nadia Garcia said. “I kept trying to push through it, but it was difficult.”

The regional meet will be in Huntsville on October 23. From now until then, Reyes and Diaz will continue to work hard in practice and hope to advance to state.

“This is my last year,” Reyes said. “Regionals was the goal, but now that I am there, I am looking toward state.”