“Home Again” full of romance

Alice Kinney (Reese Witherspoon) and her two daughter have decided to move back to their hometown, Los Angeles. Kinney, who has recently divorced her husband, is celebrating her 40th birthday when she meets three soon-to-be filmmakers who need a place to stay and she offers her guest house to them temporarily. Alice and her daughters become close to the guys, but things change when Kinney’s ex shows up ready to rebuild their relationship.

Home Again is not the iconic romantic comedy that the previews showed it to be. The storyline is predictable and the dialogue is boring. The cast is amazing and the movie is star-studded, but the plot is tired and basic leaving the actors to try and save a sinking ship.

However, on a positive note, the overall message that Home Again is trying to convey relates to a wide variety of people. The whole movie is about family and the people that you encounter in life. The movie would have been exceptional if it wasn’t for everything else with it.

This was director Hallie Meyers-Shyer’s first film, which could explain the bland interactions between the characters. Maybe she’ll take this movie, learn from it, and then direct another movie that will hopefully be better.