Cross Country runners hit first meet

Two-a-days in August began the start of yet another long, hot cross country season approaching. With a month of practice under their belt, the cross country team traveled to Hillsboro last Friday to compete in the meet held at the local park.

“The students have been working really hard this season,” Rubel said. “We began working in the summer. However, we didn’t get to showcase our skills because the meet was canceled.”

In response to Hurricane Harvey, two of the scheduled meets were canceled.

“It was kind of a relief that the meet was canceled,” junior Jose Sanchez said. “I am glad that we had some time to prepare for this meet. Even though I didn’t do good, the team did.”

The team ran against 150 other competitors from both 5A and 6A schools, senior Daniela Reyes finished 27th.

“I was nervous for this meet,” Reyes said. “I didn’t think I was going to do good. I would have liked to finish in a higher place, but I am glad for what I got.”

Reyes ran her best time of running two miles in 14 minutes ad 28 seconds.

“Our goal this year is to have both teams make it out of district,” Rubel said. “I keep telling the kids that it is possible for us.”

All of the students on the boys and girls teams have grown as a family.

“In practice, we do die but when we get done with the workout we have such a good time,” junior Sheri Donaldson said. “I love everyone. We’re all a huge family.”

Over the past three years, the cross country team, both high school and junior high, have grown tremendously. This year, the girl’s varsity team consists of  Nadia Garcia, Daniela Reyes, Andrea Garcia, Sheri Donaldson, Jordan Early, Kayleigh Rhodes, Tana Cleveland and Yomele Almeida. The boy’s team consists of Jose Sanchez, Jose Domingues, Nick Brown, Matthew Jonas, Brandon Renteria, Clark Travis, Benny Avila, Lance Wilson, Ernesto Rios and Aaron Richards.

“This is the biggest team we have ever had,” Rubel said. “Every year we get more people who are passionate about running. This is going to be the best year yet.”