Teacher spotlight: Olivia Grubbs

With the demand for teachers increasing daily, schools in small town have a hard time finding teachers to teach different subjects, especially foreign language subjects.  In the past, the high school has had trouble finding and keeping around Spanish teachers. Fortunately, that was not the case this year. In fact, this year the high school hired several new teachers, including the new Spanish teacher, Olivia Grubbs.

“When I was younger, I never really thought about becoming a teacher,” teacher Olivia Grubbs said. “I actually went to school to be a counselor, but I never dismissed the fact that I could be a teacher. I’m glad I made the decision to teach because so far it has been great.”

This is Grubbs’s first year as a teacher. She not only teaches Spanish 2, but she also teaches Spanish 3 and 4.

“I have Mrs. Grubbs for Spanish 2, and she is a really nice teacher,” sophomore Brittany Few said. “She lets us work in ways that allow everyone to learn best. She also doesn’t give us an overload of work and then expects us to understand it right away. She actually takes the time to make sure we understand it.”

Grubbs also plans on bringing back the Spanish Club. She said that the club will do lots of fun things, that would bring some Latino/ Latina flare to the school and the community.

“I am really excited that Mrs. Grubbs is bringing back the Spanish Club,” Senior Yzabel Salazar said. “I was a member of the original Spanish Club my freshman year, and I was upset when we didn’t have a Spanish Club my sophomore and junior year. I plan on running for an officer position, and I even if I don’t get it, I will still join.”

Grubbs is from Blooming Grove but moved to Buffalo so that her husband could coach the football team with his father. She said that one of the reasons she chose to teach Spanish here is because she wants kids to have a passion and respect for the culture.

“I find teaching to be my passion,” teacher Olivia Grubbs said. “I get excited teaching students new things they’ve never heard before. That’s what drives me. That’s what gets me excited about teaching Spanish.”