“Seabiscuit An American Legend” is worth the read

Seabiscuit An American Legend is worth the read

From the award winning author, Laura Hillenbrand comes an amazing book called Seabiscuit an American Legend. Seabiscuit an American Legend was published sometime in 2001, and was turned into a major motion picture in 2003. Seabiscuit an American Legend is not the usual nonfiction book; it combines history with an amazing sport and it is written in such away that makes it impossible to put the book down.

Seabiscuit is one of the most famous thoroughbred racehorses in history. He was foaled in Lexington, Kentucky in 1933, from the mare Swing On and sire Hard Tack. In the beginning of the book, Seabiscuit was described as a stubborn and lazy horse that didn’t meet racing standards. However that all changed when entrepreneur Charles S. Howard bought the horse and assigned Tom Smith to train him. After that, Seabiscuit had become an unlikely champion and a symbol of hope during the Great Depression.

“In the year of 1938, near the end of a decade of monumental turmoil, the year’s number one news maker was not Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Hitler, or Mussolini. It wasn’t Pope Pius XI, nor was it Lou Gehrig, Howard Hughes, or Clark Gable. The subject of the most column inches in 1938 wasn’t even a person. It was an undersized, crooked-legged racehorse named Seabiscuit.” ~ Seabiscuit an American Legend.

I bought the book Seabiscuit an American Legend from a thrift shop last year. Later in the year my English teacher had all of us students pick a book to read for a project we were going to do. I chose this book, because I thought it would be interesting, and also because I wanted to learn more about the famous horse that my horses are related to. This book was a little hard to get into at first, but it soon got better. However, if you are looking to read about the horse and the horse only then you might want to skip part one. If you are looking to read about the jockeys and all about Seabiscuit then you should read all of it. By the time I was done with this book I had learned a lot. I absolutely loved this book, and I would recommend it to anyone.

Seabiscuit an American Legend has sold a ton of copies, and many people enjoyed the story, including myself. This book has won many awards and honors including New York’s Time Bestseller (non fiction), Barnes & Noble “Best Books in History, Biography, and Sportsbook Sense of the Year (adult nonfiction), and USA Today’s Number One Sports Book of The Year. If you like history, sports, nonfiction, and excitement this is the book for you.