Lady Bison compete in state tournament

Dribble it, pass it, put it in the basket! The Lady Bison basketball team competed in the 2017 3A State Tournament on March the 2 and 4, winning their semifinal game to move on to the finals. 

“We were all so excited when we won the game to go to State; it has been since 2003 that the Lady Bison competed at State,” sophomore Kayleigh Rhodes said. “We could hardly ease our excitement on the bus ride there.”

The team arrived at the Alamodome to play against Mount Vernon in the semifinals. The Lady Bison ended up taking a win with a score of 50 to 43.

“I started to cry with excitement when we heard the buzzer go off and the scoreboard showed that we had won,” freshman Taylor Breshears said. “This meant that we made it to the championship game.”

The Buffalo community kept up a steady roar in the stands for the Lady Bison.

“It was so crazy looking at the stands filled entirely with purple,” cheerleader Makayla Gilliam said. “The whole population of Buffalo, Texas was there.”

The Lady Bison then played on Saturday against Canadian for the title of first in State. After a close game, the Ladies fell with a score  of 49-51.

“It was so sad to see that we lost the game,” freshman Andrea Daniel said. “Despite the tears, we are all very proud of the sweat and tears that we put into this journey.”