Food Science students experiment with cheese

Last week, teacher Wendy Neyland’s food science classes made mozzarella cheese from scratch. The students began their projects by watching a video over the nutrition facts and recipes covering mozzarella cheese.

“Making cheese was something that I never thought I’d do,” junior Aileen Ramirez said. “I’m glad that Mrs. Neyland chose cheese making as a project because it was a fun experience, and our cheese actually turned out pretty good.”

Neyland gave the young fromagers the choice of saving their cheese to make fried mozzarella sticks. Most groups, however, didn’t make it that far.

“After tasting our cheese we decided not to save it for mozzarella sticks,” senior Lauren Pate said. “It was too good not to eat.”

Not all groups were happy with the way their cheese turned out. After one bite, some hit the trashcan.  

“Our group forgot to put cheese salt in while making it, so our cheese tasted very bland,” senior Oscar Lopez said. “We decided that we’d stick to buying Velveeta.”

The class’s next project will be learning about and experimenting with carbohydrates. The students will be allowed to choose any carb-heavy recipe. These recipes include sugary foods, breads, starches and pastas.

“I love baked potatoes,” senior Bryce Ryder said. “When I heard Mrs. Neyland say “starch” I knew exactly what I wanted my group to make: cheesy potatoes.”