BHS Blood Drive raises 70 units

The annual fall NHS blood drive last week raised more than 70 units of blood for the Red Cross.

“It was good to know I was giving back to the community,” junior Chelsea Harter said. “The shirts were cute too.”

First-time donators were nervous, but found it was not too much of an ordeal.

“It was my first time donating and I was a little scared, but I really enjoyed it,” Vanessa Ramirez said.  

The NHS members worked the blood drive this year, walking students back and forth to class and helping to keep everything running smoothly.

“It was fun to get out of class and see the students giving blood,” sophomore Melanie Mcgill said.

Advisers Anna Bailey and Donna Vann were in charge of the blood drive. This is Bailey’s first year to be a part of the group.

“Taking over the NHS was kind of stressful at first,” Bailey said. “I liked helping with the drive, though. It’s for a good cause.”

A few dizzy spells did take place throughout the day, but no one had any serious issues.

“After I donated I was just walking and then I felt really dizzy, sophomore LaSundra Robinson said. “The teachers helped me sit down and after a couple of minutes I was fine.”

One pint of blood can save three lives, which means the drive will have a positive affect on more than 200 people.

“Our main goal is not to get tee shirts or get to eat snacks,” teacher Sheila Rubel said. “It’s to help save people.”