Green Day is worth rocking to old school

Green Day is a punk rock band that formed back in 1986 by vocalist/ guitarist Billie Joe Armstrong and bassist Mike Dirnt. In 1994, its major label debut, Dookie, became a big success, shipping more than 8,000,000 copies in the US alone.

After a bit of a lull, in 2004 the band’s rock opera American Idiot reignited the band’s popularity with a younger generation. They sold 6,000,000 copies in the US and received a Grammy award for best rock album.

The album follows the story of Jesus of Suburbia, a teenage anti-hero torn between “rage and love.”  Through its plot, the album expresses the disillusionment of a generation that comes of age in a time shaped by clamorous events.

American Idiot truly caught fire and wound up being that year’s fourth-biggest seller overall. The slicing power chords reach to Cali punk influences with magical fingers, adds acoustic instruments without sounding forced or contrived, and contains lyrics that grapple with the political situation in 2004.

Even though hard rock is not typically my go-to choice when picking music, I loved this album. After the first song, I instantly wanted to hear more. Now, rock is a viable alternative for me. American Idiot actually changed my listening habits.