Student Spotlight: Makayla Gilliam

Freshman+Makayla+Gilliam+watches+a+football+game+from+the+sidelines.+

a garcia photo

Freshman Makayla Gilliam watches a football game from the sidelines.

Many teenagers in today’s society tend to stray away from their faith and beliefs, but for freshman Makayla Gilliam, it is the complete reverse. Since starting high school, she says she has grown in her faith immensely.Even with all the activities she is involved in, Makayla still manages to make time for her faith.

“The most important thing to me and my main priority is God,” Gilliam said. “Whenever I feel lost or unsure, I always turn to Him for guidance.”

Makayla says another reason she is so strong in her faith is her family.

“We went to church camp together this past summer and although we didn’t see each other much it was great,” older brother Matt Gilliam said. “Our family has always been strong with their faith and because of that we are, too; they have always been so supportive with the things we get in.”

Gilliam has kept herself very busy with her first year of high school by joining sports and extracurricular activities. She has participated in cross country, golf, FCCLA, 4-H and  cheer.

“I like a lot of different things, and that’s why I am in many different groups,” Gilliam said. “Freshman year has been great, and I am happy with the way things are going so far.”

She has done pretty well in the things that she’s worked in, like making it to regionals her first year of cross country.

“Makayla is a hard worker, and is very dedicated to the things she does,” freshman Andrea Garcia said. “I’ve known Makayla for a long time, and she’s one of the nicest people I know.”