Student Spotlight: Shalyn Cotton

Shalyn Cotton (back row, second from right) and the cheerleaders competed in the first UIL cheer contest this winter, winning 10th place overall.

While the majority of students are well-rounded and overloaded with activities, odds are, they have a favorite to participate in. Sophomore Shalyn Cotton, is busy with athletic responsibilities throughout the school year, her favorite being cheerleading. Cheer keeps her without much free time, along with her volleyball and softball games.

For Cotton, the sports that she is involved in are an outlet to her social life. Most of Cotton’s closest friends are involved in the same activities.

“I enjoy cheerleading the most because I get to be with my friends,” Cotton said. “We have so much fun together at basketball and football games.”

As much as Cotton loves to be on a team with her friends, they feel the same way about her.

“Shalyn is my best friend,” junior Kynlee Driskill said. “I love that I get to play softball and cheer with her.”

Most young girls dream of being a cheerleader someday and Cotton was no different.

“Ever since I was little I have always wanted to be a cheerleader,” Cotton said. “In sixth grade I tried out, made it, and have loved it ever since.”

As for her future, Cotton hopes to go to college after high school and further her education.

“I want to go to Tarleton State University or Sam Houston University some day,” Cotton said. “I want to be a nurse, just like my mom.”