Local students awarded 4-H Gold Stars

4-H students James Rodell and Natalie Freeman show off their District Gold Stars with Leon County Extension Agent Amanda Shortt.

4-H gave out district Gold Star Awards last month to both James Rodell and Natalies Freeman for their work in 4-H, including time spent in leadership positions. Both students have been in 4-H since they were little and say they have worked really hard to accomplish all the requirements that came with the award.

“It was an honor,” sophomore James Rodell said. “I think I won it because I work hard in 4-H; I became district officer and have been in 4-H for many years. I worked really hard on all the projects I had to do, and I tried my best.”

The Gold Star award is the highest district award members can win and can be won only one time.

“I meet all the requirements,” junior Natalie Freeman said. “I tried to be as outgoing as I could and I worked really hard for it. I did everything I possibly could.”

Both students had many requirements they had to meet to be considered: they must have been 15 years old when signing up, had to be in 4-H for three years, kept record books, attended multiple camps, and completed multiple projects.

“They both have worked really hard in 4-H.” teacher Wendy Neyland said. “They have been in 4-H since the third grade, and both of them are very deserving of the award.”